To make things easier, I’ve created this page to let you know how I do reviews and how my priority list works.
Reviews will feature a picture of the novel, either a cover image similar to that on Goodreads or a personal photo taken for my instagram: @coffee_stars_books I prefer to take my own photos, but I can only really do this with physical copies, and only when I have the time/imagination to set up these pictures.
Reviews will also include a brief synopsis [sometimes taken from Goodreads or sometimes my own, depending on how well I can sum up the novel in a succinct manner] and the reviews will often feature small quotations taken from the book I’m reviewing. All new reviews will also include a hyperlink to Goodreads, a link to the Waterstones UK and Amazon UK pages to buy the book, and some will also include suggested similar reads if I can think of something appropriate.
I operate on a ten star review system, with half stars also being rewarded.
If you would like to submit a book for me to review, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Here are some genres and other things I would prefer:
- Fantasy YA is my favourite genre, but I also read sci-fi, historical and contemporary YA too. I will also read fantasy, sci-fi, horror and historical books that are not YA but these will be considered on an individual basis. I can and will review non-fic books [YA or not] but again this will be considered on an individual basis.
- Physical copies are preferred over E-Books. Obviously, exceptions can be made, and I do spend a lot of time on Netgalley etc, but in the interest of making notes on the text and not having my eyes burn from too much time staring at electronics, a physical copy is much preferred. If you want to send me an e-book, you’ll have to convince me a bit more.
- You can send me a book which hasn’t been recently published. I’ll happily accept ARCs or proofs, but I’m equally content reading older books.
- If you’re requesting a review of a self-published book, again you will have to sell it to me and really stress why I need to read it. I’m not trying to be prejudiced against self-publication, but I have spent a lot of time on Figment and Wattpad etc and it has somewhat scarred me. Plus, I have such a long list of standard published books to read, I can’t make too much of a habit of reviewing books I’m not convinced will keep my interest.
- I am going to write an honest review. I’ll try not to be too harsh, but the reviews I post will be my own opinions. That includes me flagging up things like problematic messages in novels, or things I thought didn’t work. Please don’t attempt to change my mind about these things. I’m happy to debate, but I’m an obstinate reviewer.
- I will alternate between netgalley books and books I have bought for myself. Physical ARCs and gifted books will be prioritised as first to read, but I will take publication dates into the most consideration, as well as my own preferences in taste. I sometimes can’t deal with reading 5 contemporary novels in a row, for instance, so I will mix it up. Likewise, Book Box Club books will be high on my priority list due to book groups. If you send me a physical ARC or book, I will get to it ASAP. If you send me an e-book I will try to get to it as soon as I can, but it will be low on the list of books to read.
- Reviews, unboxings and posts to promote events/blog tours etc are posted as I write, although some may be scheduled if I have already uploaded a post for the day. Please be aware of this when considering promotional purposes. If you need a post published on a specific date, or around a deadline, please let me know in advance so I can figure something out.
- I am happy to review on goodreads, and I will often post pictures and blog links to instagram and twitter.
Feel free to email me if you have any other queries. I’ll be happy to reply. You can reach me using the form on the contact page, or at the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org I am also on Twitter at @kbeestonewrites and instagram @coffee_stars_books
If you would like to submit a subscription box for me to review, please consider the following:
- I love love love bookish merch, books and candles. These will be preferred. I’ll consider movie/comic/gaming/craft/makeup boxes but on an individual basis. Please bare in mind that I am more comfortable and familiar reviewing book themed boxes though, so I might not be the best person to send these other items to.
- Subscription box reviews and unboxings will be located under the heading ‘Unboxings.’ When I can, I will provide spoiler pictures for the items, and a video of the unboxing too. Please note that the video will not be live, and I will open up the box prior to filming/reviewing as I like to share these things with my boyfriend/friends first.
- Each unboxing review will have an item-by-item breakdown, with my opinions on the items. Hyperlinks to people/companies/stores which created each item will be provided where possible.
- I will happily provide a code in the review for others to use when they subscribe.
- I will also provide links to my reviews on twitter, and photos on instagram @coffee_stars_books
- Please look at examples of previous unboxings for an idea of what to expect.
- Any other questions, please email me and I will get back to you as soon as possible. You can reach me using the form on the contact page, or at the email address: email@example.com I am also on Twitter at @kbeestonewrites and instagram @coffee_stars_books